Quick and easy pancakes from an air fryer! These light and fluffy pancakes are perfect for any type of topping and will be a hit with your family.
With just a few simple ingredients you can make the light and fluffy pancakes with amazing flavor. This is my favorite pancake recipe to make in the air fryer.
The flavor beats out every other recipe I’ve made, and it’s well worth making the next time you whip up a stack of pancakes for your family.
Note: You can use this air fryer method for boxed pancake mix too.
You can also use my dairy free pancake recipe in your air fryer.
How to Make Pancakes in an Air Fryer
This recipe yields 12 pancakes, which is perfect for four to five people. Prep time is just minutes and total cook time will depend on the size of your air fryer.
As for equipment, you will need a mixing bowl, whisk, ladle, 6″ aluminum pie pan, and an air fryer.
The pie pan is the key to making perfect air fryer pancakes without making a mess. They are inexpensive and work perfect with this recipe.
Note: You can line your basket with parchment paper, but I’ve found the pie tins to work best.
Related Recipe: Pancakes with muffin mix
For this recipe we will be using common ingredients, so you should have no need for substitutions. The key to the wonderful flavor and fluffy texture is the buttermilk.
While you can sub in regular milk, I highly recommend using buttermilk if possible. The flavor is absolutely amazing.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Granulated Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
You can make these pancakes gluten free by simply substituting your favorite gluten free flour for all-purpose flour. This does produce a flatter pancake, but the flavor is still excellent.
Related: Substitute for eggs in pancakes
Add Ins and Toppings
These pancakes have an amazing flavor as is, but they are also a great base for adding your favorite pancake stir ins.
There are so many great ways to bring new flavors to your pancakes, and since we will be using a pie tin we can safely add them to our air fryer pancake batter without making a mess.
Here are some of my favorite stir ins and toppings for pancakes. For add ins, simply stir 1/2-1 cup in right before making your pancakes.
- Chocolate Chips
- Caramel Chips
- Whipped Cream
- Maple Syrup
- Agave Nectar
- Crushed Walnuts
Related: Milk alternatives for pancakes
Once you have all your equipment and ingredients gathered together it’s time to start making your pancakes!
While I like to use smaller pie tins for this recipe, you can use larger is you want to make big pancakes. The main thing to keep in mind is that the time it takes to make your pancakes mainly depends on the size of your air fryer cooking basket.
I can fit three pie tins but air fryer sizes vary quite a bit. So check how many aluminum pie tins you can fit to gauge how long your cook time will be.
Step 1: Place aluminum pie tins in cooking basket and spray with non stick cooking spray
Step 2: Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees
Step 3: In mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, and salt. Stir until well combined
Step 4: Add your buttermilk, vanilla extract, and eggs. Whisk until well combined
Note: A few lumps are fine. If using stir ins, add them now
Step 5: Allow pancake batter to rest for at least five minutes
Step 6: Pour batter into pie tins. The bottom should be completely covered and your batter should settle evenly
Step 7: Cook pancakes for 7-8 minutes. Pancakes are done when tops are golden brown
Step 8: Remove basket and allow pancakes to rest for about 2 minutes.
Step 9: Remove pancakes with spatula
Step 10: Repeat until all pancake batter has been cooked
Step 11: Top pancakes, serve, and enjoy!
Simple Air Fryer Pancakes
- Air Fryer
- Mixing Bowl
- 1-3 Aluminum Pie Tins
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 2 Cups Buttermilk Can subsitute with regular milk
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract optional
- 1 Pinch Salt
- Place aluminum pie tins in cooking basket and spray with non stick cooking spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees
- In mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, granulated sugar, and salt. Stir until well combined
- Add your buttermilk, vanilla extract, and eggs. Whisk until well combined
- Note: Some lumps is ok. If using add ins, stir them in now
- Allow pancake batter to rest for at least five minutes
- Pour batter into pie tins. The bottom should be completely covered and your batter should settle evenly
- Cook pancakes for 7-8 minutes. Pancakes are done when tops are golden brown
- Remove basket and allow pancakes to rest for about 2 minutes
- Remove pancakes with spatula
- Repeat until all pancake batter has been cooked
- Top pancakes, serve, and enjoy!
- You can use the same air fryer method above for any pancake recipe! And that includes pancake mix as well.
- If you do not have pie tins, you can use parchment paper. Just make sure to completely cover your cooking basket to avoid spills.
- Air fryer temperatures do vary, so your cooking time may need to be adjusted a minute or two either way. I like to do a test pancake first to check my machines cooking time.