Moist and delicious banana cake recipe topped with homemade cream cheese frosting. Simple and quick recipe, perfect for serving at get togethers or as a special family dessert.
This is the best tasting banana cake I’ve ever had! It is moist and super easy to make. After tasting this recipe, you’ll never go back to using a box mix for your banana cake.
I love serving this cake during holiday parties, but it’s also a great family dessert or even a yummy breakfast treat.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you have it the next time you want a homemade banana cake.
This recipe only take minutes to prep and bake time is under an hour. So with this recipe, you’ll be out of the kitchen quick!
How to Make a Homemade Banana Cake from Scratch
This banana cake tastes wonderful with cream cheese frosting. The subtle sweetness pairs perfectly with banana.
I have multiple frosting options you can use for your cake. Try them all and see which is your favorite, but I’m confident you will like each and every one of them!
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
- Coconut cream cheese frosting; sweet with a great texture and subtle nuttiness
- Whipped cream cheese frosting; light and fluffy texture with just the right amount of sweetness
- Cool Whip cream cheese frosting; easy to make with a wonderful, creamy texture and flavor
- Cream cheese frosting without butter; quick recipe with a traditional texture and flavor
Whichever frosting you use, start making it just before your cake has cooled. Each of these frosting recipes go wonderfully with banana cake, so the choice is completely up to you!
Prep time for your cake is only minutes and bake time is right around forty minutes. All you need is your cake pan and a mixing bowl.
You can use a 13×9 cake pan, or make a 3 layer 8″ or 9″ cake. Both options work great with this recipe, so it just comes down to which presentation you prefer.
Ingredients for Banana Cake
The shopping list for this recipe is short, and since we’re using common baking ingredients you may have everything on hand already.
When it comes to the bananas, use ripe bananas for the best flavor. While you don’t necessarily need them to be as ripe as when making banana bread, it definitely doesn’t hurt if they are.
Just make sure they have some brown spotting. The flavor difference is quite noticeable, and under ripe bananas just don’t produce as tasty of a cake.
Banana Cake Ingredient List
- Ripe Banana (mashed)
- Granulated Sugar
- Vegetable Oil
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
Don’t forget to check the ingredients for your cream cheese frosting. Since there are multiple recipes listed above to choose from, double check you have what you need for your frosting!
Related Recipe: Banana bread from cake mix
Simple Step by Step Instructions
I love keeping it simple in the kitchen whenever possible, and this is one of the easiest recipes I make. Don’t let that fool you though, this cake is packed with flavor and has an absolutely wonderful texture.
Cleanup is fast since we don’t need a bunch of fancy equipment. So once you have all your ingredients gathered, it’s time to get baking!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Grease cake pan(s) using butter or non stick cooking spray
Step 3: Add all ingredients to your large mixing bowl
Step 4: Stir by hand until well combined
Step 5: Pour cake batter into cake pan(s)
Step 6: Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes
Note: Your banana cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
Step 7: Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack
Note: Prepare your frosting when your cake is almost cool
Step 8: Frost cake, serve, and enjoy!
Related: Cake storing tips and tricks
Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- (1) 13"x9" Cake Pan or (3) 8" Cake Pans
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Cup Mashed Banana
- 1½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease cake pan(s) using butter or non stick cooking spray
- Add all ingredients to your large mixing bowl
- Stir by hand until well combined
- Pour cake batter into cake pan(s)
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes
- Note: Your banana cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Note: Prepare your frosting when your cake is almost cool
- Frost cake, serve, and enjoy!
- Oven temperatures vary, check your cake at forty minutes by inserting a toothpick or skewer. Your cake is done baking when it comes out clean.
- Prepare your frosting just before it has cooled completely.
- Wait until your cake has completely cooled before frosting it.
- Store your cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.