Moist and flavor packed banana pineapple cake perfect for any occasion. This simple recipe is quick to make and is one of my all time favorites.
There is something magical about combining banana, pineapple, and cream cheese frosting. This cake is super moist and the flavor is an absolute delight.
My entire family loves this cake, and we make it on all sorts of special occasions. It’s a great family dessert or perfect for serving at your next get together.
Make sure to pin or bookmark this recipe so you can find it the next time you want to make it.
Note: While my family didn’t call it that, this recipe is quite similar to the classic southern, hummingbird cake.
Related Recipe: Banana cake with cream cheese frosting
How to Bake a Homemade Banana Pineapple Cake from Scratch
You’re going to not only love the flavor of this recipe, but also how incredibly quick and easy it is to make.
Prep time is under five minutes and bake time is right around a half hour. That makes this a great last minute dessert.
It’s saved me on more than one occasion that I forgot I had an event that required a dish to pass. And on top of that, it’s always a crowd favorite.
For equipment, all you need is a mixing bowl and your preferred style of cake pan.
You can use a 13″x9″, two 9″, or three 6″ cake pans. The choice is yours!
Pineapple Banana Cake Ingredients
Don’t let making this cake from scratch scare you, with just a handful of common baking ingredients you will have no problem making it!
And there’s a good chance you already have everything you need on hand. Trust me, once you make this cake you won’t want to go back to a box mix.
Banana Cake with Pineapple Ingredients List
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
- Crushed Pineapple
- Mashed Banana
- Chopped Walnuts (optional)
Pineapple: Canned crushed pineapple in juice is the best type to use, but you can go with chunks or tidbits. Just make sure you get pineapple in juice as syrup doesn’t work well in this recipe.
Banana: The number of bananas needed depends on their size, but I’ve found that four to five tends to be just right. Go with ripe bananas, as they provide you with more flavor and a better overall texture.
Walnuts: While completely optional, the addition of walnut’s nuttiness goes so well with the sweetness of pineapple and banana.
Frosting: You’ll find an easy to make, traditional cream cheese frosting recipe below. But I will also link to some of my favorite alternative cream cheese recipes. Any of them will go wonderfully with your cake so pick the one that sounds best to you. And of course, you can go with a premade frosting if you want to save a little time. But honestly, homemade doesn’t take long to make, and the flavor is well worth the time investment.
Related Recipe: Banana bread using cake mix
Step by Step Banana Cake with Pineapple Instructions
So prep time is only going to take a few minutes, so once you have all your ingredients gathered, it’s time to get baking!
Note: You’ll find the cream cheese recipe in the next section.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: Grease you cake pan(s)
Step 3: In your mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients and stir until well combined
Step 4: Add your eggs and vegetable oil and stir by hand until well combined
Note: A few lumps is not an issue
Step 5: Stir in your vanilla extract, drained pineapple, and walnuts until evenly incorporated
Step 6: Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Your cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
Step 7: Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack
Step 8: Once cooled, frost your cake and serve!
Simple Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
If you want a super easy homemade frosting, use this recipe. After that, I will provide links to some other great frosting options you can use for your banana pineapple cake.
You can wait to start making your frosting until your cake has just about finished cooling.
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Step 1: Add all your ingredients to your mixing bowl
Step 2: Stir by hand until your mixture is well blended and smooth
Step 3: Frost your cake once it has completely cooled
More great cream cheese frosting recipes
- Coconut cream cheese frosting
- Cream cheese frosting without butter
- Whipped cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting
Banana Pineapple Cake
- 13"x9" pan or (2) 9" cake pans or (3) 6" cake pans
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1½ Cups Vegetable Oil
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 8 oz Crushed Pineapple in Juice drained
- 1½ Cups Mashed Ripe Bananas 4-5 bananas
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Grease you cake pan(s)
- In your mixing bowl, add all your dry ingredients and stir until well combined
- Add your eggs and vegetable oil and stir by hand until well combined
- Note: A few lumps is not an issue
- Stir in your vanilla extract, drained pineapple, and walnuts until evenly incorporated
- Bake in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Your cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Once cooled, frost your cake and serve!
- If you prefer a sweeter frosting, buttercream can be used. Here is one of my favorite buttercream frosting recipes
- Make sure to completely cool your cake before frosting it
- For additional flavor, sprinkle shredded coconut or your favorite crushed nuts on top of your frosting
- Store your cake covered at room temperature for up to three days