Delicious buttercream frosting recipe using heavy cream! This frosting has a light and fluffy texture and a wonderful flavor perfect for frosting all types of desserts.
This is my favorite whipped buttercream frosting and I use it for all sorts of cakes and cupcakes. The texture is so soft and fluffy with a wonderful, sweet flavor.
And even though it’s homemade frosting, it’s quick and easy to make with only a handful of common ingredients.
This is my recommended recipe for anyone looking for a sweet, whipped, buttercream. It’s a real crowd pleaser so it works for everything from birthday cakes or simple family desserts.
Related Recipe: Ganache without heavy cream
How to Make Fluffy Buttercream Frosting using Heavy Whipping Cream
This recipe yields enough buttercream frosting for the following cakes and cupcakes.
- 13″18″ Sheet Cake
- 9″x13″ Sheet Cake
- 9″x5″ Loaf Pan
- Two Layer Cakes using either 8″ or 9″ Pans (Top, between layers, and sides)
- Three Layer Cake using 6″ Pans (Between layers and top)
- 18-24 Cupcakes
- Sheet of Brownies
- 18-24 Cookies
For equipment you will need a large mixing bowl and either a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
And prep time is less than ten minutes. This recipe is perfect to make once your dessert is just about ready to be frosted.
Related Recipe: Buttercream frosting with powdered sugar
One of the things I love most about this recipe is how few ingredients you need. The key to getting that light and fluffy texture is using cold heavy cream.
So don’t take your heavy cream out of the refrigerator until it’s time to add it to your mixture. Other than that, this is a super easy and straight forward recipe.
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsalted Butter
Once you have all your ingredients ready it’s time to get whipping your frosting! Remember to keep your heavy cream chilled all the way up until it’s time to incorporate it into your frosting mixture.
Note: You can chill your mixing bowl for a half hour before starting if you have time. Not entirely necessary but it helps achieve that light and fluffy texture.
Step 1: In your large mixing bowl, add your room temperature butter and beat with your mixer until smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Slowly add your powdered sugar and mix on low until well combined.
Step 3: Mix on high for about 2 more minutes.
Note: Your mixture should be light and fluffy in texture
Step 4: Add cold heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on high until your frosting is light and fluffy.
Note: This generally take between 3 and 4 minutes.
Step 5: Immediately frost your dessert
This frosting is perfect for piping or spreading. The texture is incredibly light and it can be used with any style of dessert.
Related: Freezing cake before frosting
Buttercream Frosting With Heavy Cream
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar sifted
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream cold
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 pinch Salt omit if using salted butter
- In your large mixing bowl, add your room temperature butter and beat with your mixer until smooth and creamy
- Slowly add your powdered sugar and mix on low until well combined
- Mix on high for about 2 more minutes
- Note: Your mixture should be light and fluffy in texture
- Add cold heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on high until your frosting is light and fluffy
- Note: This generally take between 3 and 4 minutes
- Immediately frost your dessert and enjoy!
- This frosting is great for all sorts of cakes. The flavor and texture is wonderful and it is quite easy to work with whether spreading or piping.
- If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container for up to five days in the refrigerator or two months in the freezer.
- Your frosting will need to be at room temperature before using if stored in the fridge or freezer.
- If making a multi layer cake where the sides will be frosted, double your recipe.