Wonderful flavor and aroma perfect for the holidays or a simple family treat. This homemade carrot pie recipe is simple to make and uses common baking ingredients.
This wonderful recipe is a traditional fall treat for my family going back generations. The aroma it fills the house with takes me back in time whenever I bake it.
The flavor of the carrots pairs with the spices perfectly, and I’m guessing this becomes one of your new favorites too.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you want to make it.
How to Bake a Homemade Dessert Carrot Pie from Scratch
This recipe has a prep time around a half an hour (but most of that will be heating your carrots) and bake time clocks in right around fifty minutes.
For equipment, you will need a saucepan, pie pan, and a medium mixing bowl. And that’s all it takes to make the most delicious carrot pie I’ve ever had.
While there are many sweet carrot pie recipes around (carrot pie is a popular dish in both the US and UK) this one provides what I believe to be the perfect flavor combination.
And it really is quite simple to make, so no need to fear making one from scratch. It’s going to produce a flavor the entire family will love.
Related Recipe: Classic carrot cake
Sweet Carrot Pie Ingredients
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it only calls for common baking ingredients.
Some traditional, homemade recipes call for harder to find ingredients, but they aren’t necessary for achieving an amazing flavor and texture.
Carrot Pie Ingredient Shopping List
- Carrots (pureed)
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Premade Pie Crust
Carrots: Preparing your carrots is super easy! Start by rinsing and peeling your carrots. Place them in your saucepan and cover with water. Bring your carrots to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
Allow your carrots to simmer until tender, usually about 20 minutes. Strain out your water and mash your carrots with a fork or potato masher.
You can add small amounts of water if your carrots mash too dry. And that’s all it take to puree your carrots!
Spices: Spices are what gives our pie that wonderful, cozy flavor! If you do not have access to each of these spices you can substitute in pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice. The ratios in these premade spice mixes does vary, so it will effect the final flavor of your dish, but works fine in a pinch.
Use 3 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice to substitute all other called for spices.
Carrot Dessert Pie Instructions
Once your carrots are pureed, you’re only a few simple steps away from baking your homemade carrot pie!
Gather your ingredients and let’s get baking!
Step 1: Rinse and peel your carrots
Step 2: Place carrots in saucepan and cover with water
Step 3: Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to a simmer
Step 4: Simmer until carrots are tender. Approximately 20 minutes
Step 5: Drain water and then mash carrots in separate bowl with a fork or potato masher
Step 6: Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Step 7: In your mixing bowl, add your pureed carrots, spices, granulated sugar, milk, and eggs. Stir until well combined.
Step 8: Pour mixture into premade pie crust
Step 9: Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes
Step 10: Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes
Step 11: Your pie is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
Step 12: Carefully remove your pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack
Step 13: Serve and enjoy!
Related: How to prevent a soggy pie crust
Classic Spiced Carrot Pie
- 1 Pie Pan
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 1 Cup Carrots pureed
- ⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Allspice
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- Rinse and peel your carrots
- Place carrots in saucepan and cover with water
- Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to a simmer
- Simmer until carrots are tender. Approximately 20 minutes
- Drain water and then mash carrots in separate bowl with a fork or potato masher
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In your mixing bowl, add your pureed carrots, spices, granulated sugar, milk, and eggs. Stir until well combined
- Pour mixture into premade pie crust
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40-45 minutes
- Your pie is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Carefully remove your pie from the oven and cool on a wire rack
- Serve and enjoy!
- This pie is wonderful served as is, or even with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Any of your favorite premade crusts will work, but if you want to make a homemade pie crust, this is one of my favorites.
- Store your pie covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.