I prepare my crepe batter ahead of time to save on time and it works perfectly.
Corn chip crepe ingredients
- Vegetable oil
- All-purpose flour
- Corn chips
Chicken and green chile filling ingredients
- Ground cumin
- Sour cream
- Cooked chicken
- Can green chilis
- Pimiento or Roasted red peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Ground pepper
- Monterey jack cheese
The inspiration for these crepes happened after going to a small Mexican restaurant while visiting my brother last spring.
I was surprised to find a crepe dish on the menu so being the crepe fanatic I am, I had to try it.
It was an amazing blend of flavors and it was so delicious.
Later on when I got back home I had to try and replicate the dish. After three tries I finally hit it!
This is that recipe. The chicken and green chilis filling is creamy and goes so well with my corn chip crepes.
Chicken and Green Chili Crepes
- 6-7" Frying Pan
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Oven Safe Serving Dish
Corn Chip Crepes
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Milk
- ⅓ Cup Water
- ½ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Corn Chips Crushed
- ½ tsp Salt
Chicken and Green Chili Filling
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¾ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Cubed Cooked Chicken
- ¼ Cup Green Chilis Chopped and Seeded
- 2 tbs Pimiento or Roasted Red Peppers
- ¼ Cup Minced Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Fresh Ground Pepper
- ¾ Cup Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Combine all corn chip crepe ingredients to your blender or food processor. Cover and process for thirty to forty seconds. Scrape down the edges of the blender and process for a few more seconds.
- Spray your frying pan and bring to medium low heat.
- Test your batter by pouring a half a tablespoon to the pan. Tilt your pan in a circular motion and the batter should move about freely. If it does not, lower your heat a bit. Once it does remove your test batter from your pan.
- For each crepe, add three to four tablespoons of batter to your heated pan. Cook the first side for about one minute. Flip crepe when it is firm enough to do so without breaking.
- Cook the second side for about one minute as well. Your crepe is done cooking when light brown flecks form. Remove from pan and repeat until all crepe batter is used.
Chicken and Green Chili Filling
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cumin and sour cream in your mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of your ingredients except for the cheese, and mix together well.
- Add mixture to each crepe.
- Place filled crepes seem side down on buttered oven safe serving dish.
- Sprinkle your crepes with Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake for about ten minutes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Batter can be prepped ahead of time. Refrigerate prepared batter for up to three days.
- Unfilled, cooked crepes can be frozen. To reheat, bake for about seven minutes at 350 degrees.
- Classic or whole wheat crepes can also be used in place of corn chip crepes.
That trip to the wonderful little restaurant inspired on of my favorite crepe dishes of all time. And it only took me a few tries to get it right!
Since then I’ve made these crepes for many family dinners, breakfasts and get togethers. They have always been a hit and I have given out this recipe to many friends and relatives.
If you want to really kick it up, add some of your favorite, fresh homemade salsa. When the garden starts producing tomatoes I make a lot of these chicken and green chili crepes.
I’ve had the chance to stop by that little restaurant again and if you stumble on a little Mexican joint with crepes on the menu you need to give them a try.
For more great crepe ideas check out these recipes