Simple chocolate cake with cherry pie filling recipe. So decadent and packed with flavor, this recipe is sure to be one of your favorites.
This recipe is an all time favorite in my house. The flavor of the cake and frosting pairs wonderfully with the cherry filling for the perfect sweet family dessert.
And because we will be using common ingredients, it’s super easy to make. In fact, you might already have all the ingredients on hand!
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe because it might just make it into your regular cake baking rotation.
The chocolate cake and cherry filling base is quite versatile. I love pairing it with my homemade chocolate frosting, which you’ll find below, but it also works wonderfully with premade frosting such as chocolate fudge, whipped chocolate, and even cream cheese frosting.
But I highly recommend trying my homemade chocolate frosting. It’s amazing and goes perfectly with this cake.
Related Recipe: Cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar
How to Bake a Chocolate Cake with Cherry Pie Filling
This cake takes just a few minutes to prepare and bakes for just about a half an hour. Once you have all your ingredients gathered, all you will need is a 9″x13″x2″ baking pan, a mixing bowl, and a wooden spoon.
If you go with our homemade chocolate frosting, you will also need a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
But don’t worry, if you don’t have a stand mixer you can use a premade frosting, or go with my simple chocolate ganache. The flavor is amazing and it’s super easy to make.
For our recipe we will be using a devil’s food cake mix, but you can use any other chocolate cake mix that you have on hand.
Brand doesn’t matter in my opinion, I’ve used store brand, Betty Crocker, and Duncan Hines with great results.
Same goes for your cherry pie filling. Use whichever brand is most convenient.
- Cake Mix
- Canned Cherry Pie Filling
- Vanilla or Almond Extract
- All-Purpose Flour (For dusting bottom of cake pan)
Related: Substitutes for almond extract
For our homemade frosting, we will be using common baking ingredients. Remember, you can make this recipe with premade frosting if you prefer. If so, no need to gather the following ingredients.
- Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Extract
Related: Unsweetened cocoa powder alternatives
You will want to make your frosting right before it’s time to frost your cake. This will provide you with a best texture.
Therefore, allow your cake to completely cool before beginning the steps for making your frosting.
Once you’ve gathered all your ingredients, it’s time to get baking!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Using butter or non stick spray, grease your cake pan and then dust it with flour.
Step 3: Add cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, and extract to mixing bowl and stir with your wooden spoon until well combined.
Note: Do not over stir, that will lead to a flatter cake.
Step 4: Pour cake batter into greased cake pan.
Step 5: Bake cake for 28-32 minutes. Cake is done when inserted skewer comes out clean.
Step 6: Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Step 7: Allow your cake to cool completely before frosting.
Related: Freezing cake before frosting
Once your cake has cooled, it’s time to make your frosting! Gather your ingredients and set up your stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
Step 1: In your stand mixer bowl, add butter and mix at medium speed until it is smooth and creamy.
Step 2: Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar to stand mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until well combined.
Step 3: Turn speed down to low, then slowly add your whole milk, vanilla extract, and salt.
Step 4: Continue to beat at low speed for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of your bowl to ensure all ingredients are well combined.
Step 5: Turn speed up to high and beat frosting for an additional 2 minutes.
Step 6: Frost cake immediately.
Step 7: Serve and enjoy!
Related: Uses for leftover frosting
Chocolate Cake With Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 13"x9"x2" Cake Pan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- Stand Mixer with Paddle Attachment For Homemade Frosting Only
Chocolate Cake with Cherry Pie Filling
- 1 Box (15¼oz) Devil's Food Cake
- 1 Can (21oz) Cherry Pie Filling
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or Almond Extract
- ¾ Cup Unsweetned Cocoa Powder
- 2⅓ Cups Powdered Sugar
- 6 Tbs Unsalted Butter
- ⅓ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Pinch Salt
Chocolate Cake with Cherry Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using butter or non stick spray, grease your cake pan and then dust it with flour
- Add cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs, and extract to mixing bowl and stir with your wooden spoon until well combined
- Pour cake batter into greased cake pan
- Bake cake for 28-32 minutes. Cake is done when inserted skewer comes out clean
- Carefully remove cake from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Allow your cake to cool completely before frosting
- Setup stand mixer with your paddle attachment
- In your stand mixer bowl, add butter and mix at medium speed until it is smooth and creamy
- Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar to stand mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until well combined
- Turn speed down to low, then slowly add your whole milk, vanilla extract, and salt
- Continue to beat at low speed for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of your bowl to ensure all ingredients are well combined
- Turn speed up to high and beat frosting for an additional 2 minutes
- Frost cake immediately
- Serve and enjoy!
- This cake tastes great with pecans, walnuts, or even shaved chocolate. Once frosted, sprinkle toppings on top if desired.
- You can top your cake (after frosting) with fresh or canned cherry for some more color.
- To store your cake, cover it and store in your refrigerator for up to three days.
- If you have leftover frosting, you can store it covered in your refrigerator for up to two days.