Wonderfully rich flavor and textured chocolate frosting perfect for angel food cake. This recipe produces a deep and amazing flavor that is one of my personal favorites.
Whether you’ve tried another chocolate angel food cake frosting recipe, or never frosted your angel food cake, you’re in for a treat!
This frosting is packed with mouth watering flavor and offers one of the best textures I’ve ever had. It’s sincerely a delight. And there’s a good chance it becomes one of your new favorites too.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe because you will want to make it again and again!
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Frosting Perfect for Topping Angel Food Cake
This recipe, while not complicated, takes a little bit more care than most you’ll find, but you will be richly rewarded with a deep and memorable flavor and texture.
This frosting has been a tremendous crowd pleaser and I make it for parties and for my family. It never fails to get many compliments.
Prep time is less than twenty minutes, and the equipment needed is a double boiler, a hand mixer, and a couple mixing bowls.
Related: Ways to use leftover angel food cake
Chocolate Angel Food Cake Frosting Ingredients
With just a handful of ingredients you can make a wonderful chocolate frosting from scratch. All the ingredients are fairly common, and easy to find at just about any grocery store.
- Bakers Chocolate Squares
- Unflavored Gelatin
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
Related Recipe: Chocolate marshmallow frosting
Easy Step by Step Instructions
This recipe is really quite simple to make. The only issue I’ve heard from readers is that not everyone has a double boiler. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can still make this frosting.
Just check out this article for an alternative method. Then simply follow the rest of the instructions below without change.
Step 1: Simmer water in your double boiler. Add chocolate squares, butter, and a half cup of water. Stir until melted and remove from heat
Step 2: In measuring cup, add 1/3 cup of water and dissolve gelatin
Step 3: Add gelatin mixture to melted chocolate
Step 4: Add powdered sugar and stir until well blended
Step 5: On high, mix heavy whipping cream in separate bowl until stiff peaks form
Step 6: Fold whipped cream into chocolate
Step 7: Frost your angel food cake and enjoy!
Related Recipe: Homemade angel food cake
Chocolate Frosting For Angel Food Cake
- 1 Double Boiler
- 1 Hand Mixer
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 2 oz Baker's Chocolate Squares
- 1½ tsp Butter
- 1 3oz Box Unflavored Gelatin
- ¾ tsp Unflavored Gelatin
- 1¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 16 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
- Simmer water in your double boiler. Add chocolate squares, butter, and a half cup of water. Stir until melted and remove from heat
- In measuring cup, add 1/3 cup of water and dissolve gelatin
- Add gelatin mixture to melted chocolate
- Add powdered sugar and stir until well blended
- On high, mix heavy whipping cream in separate bowl until stiff peaks form
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate
- Frost your angel food cake and enjoy!
- Keep heavy cream cold until ready to whip. You can also chill the mixing bowl you will whip your heavy cream in for better results.
- This frosting also make a great filling for angel food cake.
- You can store your frosting in an airtight container in your refrigerator for a couple days if you wish to make it ahead of time.