Sweet and delicious chocolate frosting using marshmallows. This recipe is quick to make and only calls for a handful of ingredients. Perfect for topping cakes and cupcakes.
This is a great recipe for those who love a sweet frosting. The chocolate flavor comes through nicely and the texture is thick and fluffy.
I’ve used this frosting mostly for birthday cakes, but it will work with any dessert that needs a sweet chocolate frosting.
Make sure you bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time your need it!
Note: This is an extra sweet style frosting. For a less sweet frosting try my pineapple cream cheese frosting
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting from Scratch
If you’ve tried any of my other frosting recipes (use the search at the top of the page for more recipes) then you know I like simple recipes that pack a lot of flavor.
And based on the responses I get from readers, most of you agree. Well this is another simple frosting recipe to make and it’s perfect for those with a sweet tooth.
Prep time is less than ten minutes and for equipment you just need a saucepan, a mixing bowl, and a mixer.
And that’s all it takes to whip together this fun and easy frosting recipe.
Related: Moist chocolate cake using coffee
Ingredients for Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
There’s a good chance you already have everything you need to make this recipe. We will be using common baking ingredients only.
Did I mention I like simple recipes? Well, I wasn’t kidding!
- Powdered Sugar
- Evaporated Milk
- Marshmallows (regular sized, not mini)
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Chips: Semi sweet works best for this frosting. But you can opt for milk chocolate if that’s all you have on hand. It really comes down to balancing the sweet and the chocolate, and semi-sweet hits the spot.
Marshmallows: Use the old fashion, campfire style marshmallows. They tend to melt a little easier and they are easier to use up any leftovers. Just make s’mores out of the remaining marshmallows with the family!
Related: How many cups in a bag of chocolate chips
Easy Recipe Instructions
If you like straight and to the point types of recipes, you’re in luck. This one just has a few simple steps to follow and you’ll be ready to frost your cake!
Step 1: Add sugar, marshmallows, and condensed milk to saucepan
Step 2: Heat on low, stirring constantly until marshmallows have melted
Step 3: Remove from heat and transfer mixture into mixing bowl
Step 4: Add chocolate chips and butter and mix until creamy and well blended
Step 5: Frost immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator until you’re ready to use
Step 6: Enjoy!
Related: Chocolate sour cream frosting
Simple Chocolate Marshmallow Frosting
- 1 Hand Mixer
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ¾ Cups Evaporated Milk
- 10 Marshmallows
- 12 oz bag Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 stick Butter
- Add sugar, marshmallows, and condensed milk to saucepan
- Heat on low, stirring constantly until marshmallow have melted
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture into mixing bowl
- Add chocolate chips and butter and mix until creamy and well blended
- Frost immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator until you're ready to use
- Use very low heat well stirring your marshmallow mixture. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat as soon as marshmallows have melted
- Store unused frosting in the refrigerator in a sealed container.
- Frosting is best used within three days.