Rich and creamy chocolate mousse recipe and no heavy cream needed! This mousse is so rich and delicious with an absolutely dreamy texture.
This recipe is super easy to make, and only takes minutes before it’s chilling. That means it’s a great last minutes, decadent dessert to make for get togethers.
It’s without a doubt one of the tastiest chocolate mousse recipes I’ve made. And it’s a classic style which means you don’t need heavy cream to make it.
Note: This recipe uses uncooked egg whites. Be certain to use pasteurized eggs and follow all FDA safety guidelines.
This recipe is so chocolatey and delicious while still being super easy to make, I’m sure it’ll become one of your new favorite desserts.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you’re craving chocolate mousse.
How to Make Homemade Chocolate Mousse without using Heavy Cream
This recipe packs a wallop of chocolate flavor and the texture is sooo good you’ll be wanting to make a second batch as soon as the first is gone!
The rich, chocolatey flavor is wonderful as is, but you can also easily add more flavor by adding a shot of coffee or even rum for the adults.
It not only tastes good, it’s also super easy to make. Prep is only minutes and then on to the refrigerator to chill and then you can serve the best crowd pleasing mousse around!
For equipment you will need a double boiler (or an alternative) and something to stir and beat your eggs. And that’s literally all you need to make this recipe.
Save this recipe for later: Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting
Simple Chocolate Mousse Ingredients
This three ingredient chocolate mousse is super easy to make. And there’s a good chance you have everything you need to make it already.
And even if you don’t it’s super affordable, so don’t forget to save this recipe to make again later.
- Eggs (separated)
- Semi-Sweet chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
Easy to Follow Instructions
For our instructions here, I’ll be going over the chocolate only recipe. But, if you’re interested in adding some more flavor, you can find ideas in the tips and notes section at the bottom of the page.
But don’t feel this recipe needs anymore flavor, it’s chocolatey and amazing just the way it is.
Step 1: Prepare your double boiler and melt your chocolate in the top of your double boiler.
Step 2: Remove from heat and stir in all your egg yolks.
Step 3: Add your vanilla extract and cool to room temperature.
Step 4: In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Step 5: Gently fold your egg whites into your chocolate mixture.
Step 6: Spoon into individual serving cups and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Great recipe for later: Chocolate chips cookies without brown sugar
Chocolate Mousse Tips
- This mousse tastes great as is but it’s also a great base for adding additional flavors. Some great things to add for a flavor twist include, coffee, rum, chopped strawberries, raspberries, butterscotch sauce, honey, and crushed pistachios.
- Serve your mousse in small juice glasses, mugs, martini glasses, or ramekins.
- Chill your mousse for at least 20 minutes, but a couple hours before serving is fine as well.
Related Recipe: Raspberry mousse
Chocolate Mousse (Without Heavy Cream)
- 1 Double Boiler
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 6 Large Eggs separated
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Prepare your double boiler and melt your chocolate in the top of your double boiler.
- Remove from heat and stir in all your egg yolks.
- Add your vanilla extract and cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold your egg whites into your chocolate mixture.
- Spoon into individual serving cups and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.