Moist and delicious bran muffins with cinnamon! This homemade recipe is easy to make and perfect for a tasty breakfast treat.
This recipe is a favorite of my husband and mine. The cinnamon and bran goes together so well and they are perfect with a fresh cup of coffee.
The flavor is so wholesome and cozy, they are a great muffin to serve to guests or as an on the go breakfast.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can make it the next time you want homemade cinnamon bran muffins.
You can make these muffins with or without muffin wrappers. If using wrappers, there is no need to grease your muffin pan cups. But if going without wrappers, you will want to grease the bottom and the sides of each muffin cup.Muffin Tip
Save this recipe for later: Raisin bran muffins without buttermilk
How to Bake Homemade Bran Muffins with Cinnamon From Scratch
This spiced muffin recipe brings together the great taste of bran flakes and the perfect cinnamon spice mix.
It fills the kitchen with a wonderful aroma and the flavor is sure to be a big hit with the entire family.
Prep time is right around five minutes and bake time is just 15 minutes or so. And the only equipment you need is a mixing bowl and a muffin pan for at least eight muffins.
Stir your muffin batter by hand with a wooden spoon or a spatula. When mixing muffin ingredients, it’s ok to have a few lumps remaining.Muffin Tip
Pin this recipe: Bran muffins using bran flakes
Even though this recipe is “from scratch” and the ingredients list looks long, don’t let that worry you. It’s super easy to put together, and most of the ingredients are simple and common in most pantries.
The spices called for are come together for an amazing flavor and I’ve tweaked the ratio over the years. This is the version I make to this day.
Great recipe to try: Old fashioned blueberry muffins
- Bran Flakes Cereal
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Shortening or Butter
Bran Flakes: Any brand will work, I’ve used store brand as well as name brand and the muffins turn out great no matter what. For a fun twist, you can go with raisin bran.
Spices: The combination of cinnamon, allspice, and cloves produces a wonderful classic flavor that is perfect for bran muffins. If you prefer just cinnamon, simply omit the other spices, but I recommend sticking with the recipe as written if at all possible.
Shortening: This recipe originated with my grandmother, and she always used shortening. That was the popular choice and still produces a great texture, but you can opt for butter instead if you don’t bake with shortening.
Egg: This binder enhances the texture and flavor of our muffins. Make sure to beat your egg prior to adding it to your other ingredients.
When filling your muffin cups, fill all eight of them 2/3 full. This allows enough room for our muffins to rise while baking.Muffin Tip
Try this recipe later: Blueberry honey bran muffins
Easy to Follow Instructions
If you’ve ever made any of my other recipes on Treat Dreams, then you know I’m a huge fan of baking homemade treats from scratch that are loaded without flavor without requiring a ton of time in the kitchen.
While I love baking, time is always at a premium with family and work obligations, so saving time baking is always my goal.
And with these cinnamon bran muffins, you get all of the above. Great, homemade flavor, without committing a lot of time in the kitchen!
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Step 2: Grease your muffin pan cups or line them with muffin wrappers.
Step 3: To your mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and salt. Stir until combined.
Step 4: In small bowl, stir together beaten egg and milk and stir it into your flour mixture until combined.
Step 5: Add softened shortening and stir until just combined.
Note: Do not over mix. Stir until mixture has been moistened by shortening.
Step 6: Stir in bran flakes. It’s fine if they get crushed up while stirring.
Step 7: Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
Step 8: Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Muffins are done when inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Step 9: Cool muffins, serve and enjoy!
Classic recipe: Raspberry muffins
Classic Cinnamon Bran Muffins
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Muffins Pan at least 8 muffin cups
- 1½ Cups Bran Flakes Cereal
- ⅔ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 2½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Large Egg beaten
- 3 Tbs Shortening melted
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Cloves
- ⅛ tsp Allspice
- ¼ tsp Salt omit if using salted butter in place of shortening
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease your muffin pan cups or line them with muffin wrappers.
- To your mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and salt. Stir until combined.
- In small bowl, stir together beaten egg and milk and stir it into your flour mixture until combined.
- Add softened shortening and stir until just combined.
- Note: Do not over mix. Stir until mixture has been moistened by shortening.
- Stir in bran flakes. It's fine if they get crushed up while stirring.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. Muffins are done when inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins, serve and enjoy!
Liv’s Bran Cinnamon Muffins Recipe Notes
- You can also make this recipe using raisin bran cereal. No other recipe changes needed.
- If you do not want to use shortening, you can use butter instead. Stick with three tablespoons and make sure to melt your butter before stirring it into your muffin batter.
- Sometimes I crush my bran flakes before stirring them in, both ways work well.
- Store your muffins sealed at room temperature for up to three days.