Wonderfully flavorful cream cheese frosting that is perfect for carrot cake, cupcakes, and just about any of your favorite desserts.
This simple recipe comes from my great aunt. The amazing flavor has been cherished by generations of my family, and I am certain it will be one of your favorites too!
Make sure to pin or bookmark this recipe so you can make it again and again!
This frosting has just the right amount of sweetness, so no need to worry about overpowering your cake or cupcakes with too much sugar.
The addition of the shredded coconut adds a subtle nuttiness and interesting texture that makes this frosting a truly wonderful experience.
As you will see below, it also calls for chopped pecans. This brings the flavor and texture to a whole new level.
If nuts are just not your thing, you can leave them out. But I highly recommend giving it a go. It’s a traditional Southern frosting addition that tastes absolutely amazing.
Related Recipe: Easy whipped cream cream cheese frosting
Making Homemade Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting (With or without Pecans)
This recipe is quite simple to make, and the flavor will make you never want to use a premade frosting ever again!
As written, this recipe yields enough frosting for a three layer, 9″ cake, or a generous layer for a 13×9 sheet cake.
Equipment needed is minimal. Make sure you have a medium to large mixing bowl and a stand or hand mixer. That’s it!
This is my go-to cream cheese frosting for carrot cake, but it works with so many other types of cakes and cupcakes too.
Related Recipe: Cream cheese frosting using Cool Whip
With just a handful of common ingredients you will have the best tasting (IMO) cream cheese frosting ever made!
I know that’s subjective, but I sincerely believe this will be one of your new favorite frosting recipes and be using it for years to come.
We start with a basic cream cheese frosting and build out the flavor with the perfect ratio of powdered sugar, coconut, and pecans.
Like I noted above, you can skip the pecans if you wish, but the flavor compliments this frosting just right.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Cream Cheese (unflavored, block style)
- Butter (softened)
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Chopped Pecans (optional)
- Shredded Coconut
This recipe takes just minutes to make. I like to wait until just before it’s time to frost my cake or cupcakes to make it.
While you can certainly store this frosting overnight, allowing you to make it ahead of time, it’s so quick to make I find it ideal to make it right before using.
Once you have all your ingredients gathered, it’s time to make your frosting!
Step 1: Add you cream cheese and softened butter to your mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
Step 2: While mixing, gradually add your powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended and even textured.
Step 3: Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in your shredded coconut and pecans until evenly distributed.
Step 4: Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator.
Related: More uses for cream cheese frosting
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Stand Mixer or Hand Mixer
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Block style
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Butter softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pecans optional
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut
- Add you cream cheese and softened butter to your mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until light and fluffy
- While mixing, gradually add your powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended and even textured
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in your shredded coconut and pecans until evenly distributed
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator
- If you use unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt when mixing in your powdered sugar.
- Do not over mix your frosting. Stop mixing as soon as it is well combined and an even texture.
- You can store you frosting in an airtight container overnight if you wish to make it ahead of time.