Light and fluffy cream cheese frosting recipe using Cool Whip! This frosting is ideal for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies and just about any dessert you want to frost.
When I want a cream cheese frosting with a light and fluffy texture, this is my go to recipe!
The flavor is so rich and delicious without being overly sweet. It’s perfect for when you don’t want a super sweet frosting like buttercream.
But that doesn’t mean it’s bland! The flavor is just the right balance for so many types of desserts.
And on top of that, it’s a breeze to make. With only a handful of common ingredients you will have your frosting prepared in a matter of minutes.
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting using Whipped Topping
This recipe yields enough cream cheese frosting for the following common sizes. You can double the recipe without any other recipe changes if you need more frosting.
- 18-24 cupcakes
- 18-24 cookies
- 9″x13″ Sheet Cake
- 13″x18″ Sheet Cake
- 8″ or 9″ Two Layer Cake (Top, sides, and between layers)
- 6″ Three Layer Cake (Top and between layers)
For equipment, you will need a large mixing bowl and either a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
Note: I recommend chilling your mixing bowl in the freezer for around a half hour before starting. While not one hundred percent necessary, this will help when time to mix in your cool whip.
Prep time is around 7-10 minutes. While this recipe can be refrigerated or frozen, for best results use immediately after making.
Related: How to thicken cream cheese frosting
You’re going to love how simple and quick this cream cheese frosting recipe is to make. The flavor is wonderful and it only calls for common ingredients.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you need a cream cheese frosting!
Cream Cheese Frosting using Cool Whip Ingredients List
- Cool Whip (any brand premade whipped topping works)
- Cream Cheese (block style)
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
Related Recipe: Cream cheese frosting without powdered sugar
With only a few steps, you’ll have your homemade frosting done quick! So for the best results, make your frosting when your dessert is ready to be topped.
Because we are using whipped topping, the texture can deflate if it sits out too long. I also recommend keeping your cool whip in the freezer right up until it’s time to add it to your other ingredients.
Step 1: In your mixing bowl, add cream cheese and mix on low until smooth.
Step 2: Add your vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar and continue to whip on low for 1-2 minutes. Your mixture should be creamy and well combined.
Step 3: Increase mixer speed to medium and mix in your whipped topping. Mix for 2-3 minutes, or until your frosting has reached desired texture.
Step 4: Immediately use frosting, serve and enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting With Cool Whip
- 1 Hand Mixer or Stand Mixer
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 8 oz Tub Cool Whip
- 1 8 oz Package Cream Cheese Block Style
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
- In your mixing bowl, add cream cheese and mix on low until smooth and creamy. Should take about 1 minute
- Add your vanilla extract, salt, and powdered sugar and continue to whip on low for 1-2 minutes. Your mixture should be creamy and well combined
- Increase mixer speed to medium and mix in your whipped topping. Mix for 2-3 minutes, or until your frosting has reached desired texture
- Immediately use frosting, serve and enjoy!
- This frosting will have the texture of a whipped buttercream with the delicious flavor of cream cheese frosting.
- It’s perfect for spreading or piping. It holds it’s shape well but will lose shape if left in our in warm temperatures.
- You can increase or decrease sweetness by simply adjusting the amount of powdered sugar used.