This is the creamy mustard sauce I use on my mushroom and ham, spinach, and even whole wheat crepes. But is is so versatile it can be used on so many different savory dishes.
I make a big batch of this mustard sauce each week and the kids love it on sandwiches and even eggs!
It is quick and easy to make and you probably already have all the necessary ingredients in your pantry.
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh ground pepper
Prep time is under ten minutes and cook time is as well. I like to keep my sauce in a mason jar and refrigerate until I need it.
It tends to go fast but you can easily keep it in the fridge for a couple of weeks and use when needed.
Homemade Creamy Mustard Sauce
- Sauce Pan
- 1 tbs Butter
- 1 tbs Flour
- 1¼ Cups Milk
- 1 tbs Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste Fresh Ground Pepper
- Dash Nutmeg
- In sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add flour and cook for two minutes mixing well.
- While stirring, gradually add milk and continue to cook over low heat.
- When it comes to a boil and thickens stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook for another one to two minutes and then remove from heat.
- Serve or store and enjoy!
- Perfect topping for so many dishes.
- Great for fish, sandwiches and crepes
- Stores for two weeks
I make a lot of homemade sauces so I store my creamy mustard sauce in a labeled mason jar.
My family goes through this fast as it is a favorite topping for lunch sandwiches, crepes and fish dishes.
The possible uses for this rich delicious mustard sauce are nearly endless so feel free to make up a double or triple batch.
It keeps well and doesn’t lose any flavor so it is the perfect sauce to make ahead of time.
When cooking your sauce be sure not to crank the heat up too much or you will burn your sauce. Keep it low and stir it constantly. It will thicken and come out oh so creamy and amazing.
When adding your salt and pepper taste and adjust as you go. Too little salt and you will miss out on all the subtle flavors that make this creamy mustard sauce pop.