Tasty and soft crepes, no butter needed! These thin delicious crepes are perfect for any type of filling. They are simple to make and require only four ingredients!
If you are craving crepes but do not have, or want to use, butter then this is the perfect recipe for you.
You will find the recipe and all your butter replacement options below along with the simple to follow crepe recipe.
Yes! You can make crepes without using butter
As you already know if you’ve been to Treat Dreams before is that I absolutely love crepes. My family and I have them multiple times a week in both sweet and savory form.
Best Butter Substitutes For Crepes
I’ve tried each of the following butter substitutes and they all work well. They do add different flavor notes to your crepes, so choose the one that best suits your taste and plug it into the recipe below.
- Ghee: offers a strong flavor and works well in crepes. Replaces butter at a 1:1 ratio
- Coconut Oil: Best suited for crepes that will be filled with chocolate. Replaces butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Olive Oil: Ideal for savory filled crepes. Replaces butter at a 3:4 ratio.
- Applesauce: Great all around butter replacement. Reduce sugar added to batter due to applesauce’s natural sweetness. Replaces butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Mashed Bananas: Excellent all around replacement. Lowers total calories of crepe while providing a subtle flavor that goes well with sweet fillings. Replaces butter at a 1:1 ratio.
- Greek Yogurt: Good all around butter replacement. Works in both sweet and savory crepe dishes. Replaces butter at a 1:1 ratio.
How to make no butter crepes
In this recipe I will list ghee in place of butter. But you can use any of the butter substitutes listed above. Ghee works as a 1:1 butter replacement as do all of the others except for olive oil. So if using olive oil, use 1 1/2 tablespoons for this recipe. All others use 2 tablespoons.
- Large Eggs
- Ghee (melted)
- All-Purpose Flour
Add all ingredients to your blender or food processor. Process for about thirty seconds then scrape down the sides of your blender container.
Process again until your batter is smooth.
Add some oil or ghee to pan and heat it to medium low.
Once pan is brought to temperature, test your batter by adding a tablespoon to your pan. Tilt your pan in a circular motion. Your crepe batter should move around your pan freely. If it doesn’t, lower your heat slightly. Discard test batter.
To cook crepes add batter so a thin layer covers the bottom of your pan. Cook the first side for about one minute. You can flip your crepe when tiny bubbles have formed all around the edge of your crepe.
To flip your crepes. Run your spatula all around the edge of your crepe to loosen it enough to flip. Then lift your crepe just enough to grasp it with your fingers.
In one quick motion, flip your crepe by hand being careful not to burn yourself.
You can use your spatula if it is too hot for you to handle by hand. We attempt to flip by hand because flipping with a spatula can easily break your crepe
Cook the second side of your crepe for about one minute. Your crepe is done cooking when light brown has formed on the bottom side of your crepe.
Remove from heat and repeat until all crepe batter has been used.
You will want to fill your crepes immediately and serve hot.
Crepes Recipe Without Butter
- Blender or Food Processor
- Crepe Pan or Skillet
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tbs. Ghee Melted
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp. Salt
- Add all your ingredients to food processor or blender. Process for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of container and process until batter is mostly smooth.
- Add oil or ghee to pan and bring to medium low heat.
- When pan is brought to temp, test your batter by adding a tablespoon of batter to pan. Tilt your pan in a circular motion. Batter should move around your pan freely. If it does not, lower heat slightly. Discard test batter.
- Add enough crepe batter to pan to thinly coat the bottom.
- Cook the first side for about 1 minute. Crepe is ready to flip when tiny bubbles form all around the edge of crepe.
- To flip, run spatula along the edge to loosen crepe. Lift your crepe enough to grasp it with your fingers. In a single, quick motion flip your crepe by hand.
- Cook second side for about one minute. Your crepe is done cooking when light brown begins to form on bottom side of crepe. Remove from heat.
- Repeat until all crepe batter is used.
- Fill crepes with desired filling, fold, and serve immediately.