Simple and delicious homemade pie crust recipe that is perfect for any type of pie. Flaky and delicious, this is my go to pie crust recipe.
While I’m not opposed to using a premade pie crust when time is of the essence, nothing beats a homemade pie crust for creating the perfect tasting pie.
There are a number of great recipes out there, but this is the one I use the most. It produces a flaky and flavorful crust that is versatile enough to use with any type of pie.
I make this recipe for many of my holiday pies, but it’s also my go to crust for fresh fruit pies during the summer.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you have a fresh baked pie to make.
This recipe makes enough dough for two pie crusts. It’s perfect for a single pie with a double crust or two open top pies.
Related Recipe: Apple pie from canned apples
How to Make Homemade Pie Crust from Scratch
Prep time for this crust recipe is less than ten minutes. Then you just have to roll it out and finish baking your pie!
For equipment, you will need a mixing bowl and a hand mixer or food processor. I prefer using a hand mixer for making crust, but a food processor produces great results as well.
Related Recipe: Strawberry pie from frozen strawberries
Ingredients for Flaky Homemade Pie Crust
You only need a handful of common ingredients to make this classic pie crust. It’s super simple to make and there’s a good chance you already have everything you need on hand.
Pie Crust Ingredient List
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Egg (beaten)
Shortening: Shortening has been used to make pie crust for a long time, and it’s still one of the best ways to go. You will find a lot of great recipes that use butter, but for this recipe I highly recommend sticking with shortening.
Vinegar: This is one of the secrets to making a great pie crust. Go with white distilled vinegar, but if you’re all out you can use apple cider vinegar.
Related Recipe: Strawberry rhubarb pie without tapioca
Simple Step by Step Instructions
I just love simple recipes that provide a great flavor. Why over complicate things, especially when in the kitchen?
I think you’re going to love how simple and delicious this pie crust recipe is. In just a few quick steps you’ll have yourself a great tasting homemade crust for your pie!
Step 1: In your mixing bowl, add your all-purpose flour, shortening, salt, and granulated sugar
Step 2: Mix until blended
Step 3: Add beaten egg, water, and vinegar and mix until well blended
Step 4: Roll out and use according to your pie recipe
Related Recipe: Pie crust using butter
How to Roll out your Pie Crust Dough
In case you haven’t rolled out homemade pie crust before, I want to go over the steps real quick.
It’s easy, so no need to worry. Just make sure to follow these steps and you’ll be good to go!
- Clean and then dust your working surface with flour. Just a light layer of flour will be fine. The flour is there to prevent your dough from sticking. Just add more whenever needed.
- Using your rolling pin, roll out each dough ball separately into about 12″ circles. Check your dough while rolling and make sure it’s not sticking to your working surface.
- Double check your crust is rolled large enough by holding your pie pan over it. You should have at least 1″ crust past the edge of your pan.
- To transfer you crust to your pie pan gently roll your dough so it wraps around your rolling pin. Then simply unroll it directly on to your pie pan.
- Fold over the edge of your dough onto itself so your crust is thicker on the edge of your pie pan. Then simply press your knuckles around the entire edge of your pie crust.
Related: How to freeze pie crust
Easy Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
- 1 Hand Mixer or Food Processor
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Shortening
- 1 Tbs Salt
- ½ Tbs Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg beaten
- ¼ Cup Water
- ½ Tbs White Distilled Vinegar
- In your mixing bowl, add your all-purpose flour, shortening, salt, and granulated sugar
- Mix until blended
- Add beaten egg, water, and vinegar and mix until well blended
- Roll out and use according to your pie recipe