This crepe recipe is an awesome substitute for any pasta dish like manicotti or cannelloni.
I make a lot of pasta dishes and manicotti is easily my favorite.
My aunt and I were talking about crepes and the idea to use a crepe square in place of the manicotti shell was born! This crepe recipe is perfect for pairing with your favorite pasta recipe.
Simply use the crepes in place of your pasta and you will have a truly original dish that your family is sure to love! This recipe is good for about eight crepes which is a good family sized pasta dish equivalent.
If entertaining I just double up the batch for a big pan and it’s been a favorite every time.
Manicotti and Cannelloni Crepes: Pasta Square Alternative
- 6-7" Frying Pan
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Water
- ¾ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Combine all your ingredients in your blender. With cover on, process for about thirty to forty seconds. Scrape sides of your blender with a spatula to push down unblended batter. Blend again for a few seconds. Batter should be smooth and consistent.
- Spray your frying pan and heat to medium low. Once pan is brought to temperature, put a half tablespoon of batter in to test. Tilt the pan in a circular motion. Your batter should move around freely. Remove test batter from heat.
- Add three to four tablespoons of batter to your frying pan. Your crepe batter should thinly coat the bottom of your pan.
- Cook each side for approximately one minute. Your crepe is ready to flip once it is firm enough lift without breaking. Your crepes are done cooking as soon as light brown flecks begin to show on the second side.
- Prepare your favorite pasta dish using your crepes as a pasta substitute.
This crepe batter can be made ahead of time. Simply prepare and store in your refrigerator for up to four days. Finished crepe squares can be frozen in freezer safe bags. To reheat simply pre-heat your oven to 350 and warm for about six minutes.
Both crepes and pasta dishes are go to’s in my home so this paring of the two is an absolute winner! Next time you want to try an old favorite pasta dish give these manicotti crepes a go and let me know what your family thinks.
For more great crepe ideas check out these recipes