Quick and simple Rice Krispies treat recipe perfect for parties or a quick family treat. Get that classic flavor in less time by using your microwave!
Who doesn’t love Rice Krispies treats? My kids love them and let’s be honest, nobody wants to spend a bunch of time making them and then cleaning up.
And that’s why this microwave recipe is going to be one of your new favorites. Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you need to make a quick batch of Rice Krispie treats.
This recipe isn’t just for kids, the whole family will love them! And there are many great toppings you can add to create interesting flavor combinations. Check below for some ideas to get you started.Flavor Tip
How to Make Homemade Rice Krispies Treats in the Microwave
I love how easy this recipe is to make! It takes just a few minutes to prepare and all you need is a microwave safe bowl and a 13×9 baking dish.
Cleanup is super easy too, so this is my go to quick treat recipe. It’s perfect for parties, unexpected guests, or a simple family dessert.
This classic recipe only calls for three ingredients. So it’s quick, easy, and super affordable! I absolutely love recipes like this and I have a feeling you will too.
- Rice Krispies
Rice Krispies: Versions of this recipe have been around for generations. And there is no need to reinvent the wheel. I love using name brand but you can absolutely go with a store brand cereal if you prefer.
Marshmallows: I always use the classic sized marshmallows. It’s easier to get your measurement right and any leftovers are perfect for making s’mores!
Butter: Salted or unsalted butter works great. If all you have is margarine, that works too.
Rice Krispies Treats Topping Ideas
While the classic Rice Krispies treat needs no toppings to taste amazing, adding your own personal flavor touch is a great way to keep these little guys interesting.
The great thing is that it’s a wonderful base for all sorts of flavor combinations. But to get you started, I’ve got a list of toppings that my family loves on their Rice Krispie treats.
Note: Stir in denotes add ins that you stir in when adding your cereal. The rest can simply be added on top of finished treats. For stir ins, use 1/2 – 1 cup total.
- Sprinkles (stir in)
- Crushed Oreo cookies (stir in)
- Crushed candy bars (stir in)
- Chocolate ganache
- Toffee chips (stir in)
- Fruity Pebbles cereal (stir in)
- Cocoa Pebbles cereal (stir in)
- Melted white chocolate
- Chocolate chips (stir in)
- Caramel sauce
- Peanut butter
- Cinnamon (stir in half to one teaspoon)
- Crushed peppermint
- Almond butter and chocolate
- Crushed pecan
More fun options
Easy Instructions for Rice Krispies Treats in the Microwave
Are you ready for one of the quickest and easiest recipes you’ve ever made? No joke, this is one of the fastest Rice Krispies recipes around.
Gather your ingredients and a microwave safe mixing bowl and let’s get to it!
Step 1: Add your butter to your bowl and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted.
Step 2: Add marshmallows to melted butter. Microwave on LOW for 1 minutes uncovered.
Step 3: Stir your Rice Krispies into your marshmallow mixture.
Note: If using any stir ins, stir them in with your rice cereal.
Step 4: Grease baking dish and press mixture into pan. I like to use wax paper but you can do it by hand.
Step 5: Allow Rice Krispies treats to cool, then cut and serve!
Easy Microwave Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 Large Microwave Safe Bowl
- 1 13"x9" Baking Dish
- 5 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 30 Large Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Butter
- Add your butter to your bowl and microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Add marshmallows to melted butter. Microwave on LOW for 1 minutes uncovered.
- Stir your Rice Krispies into your marshmallow mixture.
- Note: If using any stir ins, stir them in with your rice cereal.
- Grease baking dish and press mixture into pan. I like to use wax paper but you can do it by hand.
- Allow Rice Krispies treats to cool, then cut and serve!
- By using the microwave instead of the stovetop, you not only save time, but cleanup is super easy.
- Try different add on and stir in combinations for fun, new flavors. Remember, when adding stir ins, they get combined with your cereal.
- Store your Rice Krispies treats covered at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to five days.