The homemade mushroom cream sauce for these crepes is unbelievable! The recipe take a bit longer to prepare than a basic crepe but the results are absolutely worth the extra effort.
You probably already have all the ingredients you need in your pantry and prep is straight forward. My family loves this savory mushroom crepe recipe and it is sure to be a winner with your family as well.
Prepare this creamy mustard sauce recipe for your mushroom and ham crepe topping.
The mustard sauce ingredients are below
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh ground pepper
Make your mustard sauce before your crepes so it is ready to drizzle. You will want to serve your crepes hot.
Mushroom and Ham Crepes with Mustard Cream Sauce
- 6-7" Frying Pan
- Large Skillet
- Oven Safe Serving Dish
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbs Melted Butter
- 1⅓ Cups Milk
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Butter
- 1 lb Fresh Mushrooms Coarsely Chopped
- ¼ Cup Minced Shallots or Green Onions
- 1 Cup Ham Finely Chopped
- To Taste Salt
- To Taste White Pepper
- ¼ Cup Fresh Minced Parsley
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- In blender, combine 2 eggs, 2tbs melted butter, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 cup all-purpose flour, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover and blend for thirty to forty seconds. Scrape down the sides of the blender and process for another few seconds. Your batter should be smooth and consistent.
- Spray your 6-7" frying pan and bring to medium low heat.
- Test your batter by adding a half tablespoon to your pan. Tilt your pan in a circular motion. The batter should move about your pan freely. If it does not, lower your temperature. Once it does, remove test batter.
- For each crepe, add three to four tablespoons of batter to your pan. Heat for about one minute. Crepe is ready to flip when firm enough to not break.
- Cook the second side for about one minute. Your crepe is done when small brown flecks form. Remove from pan. Repeat until all crepes are cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in large skillet and sauté your mushrooms over high heat for three to four minutes.
- Add in your shallots or green onions. Lower heat and cook for two to three minutes.
- Add ham, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes. Your mixture should be dry.
- Fold in your fresh parsley and sour cream.
- Put mixture in crepes and fold.
- Place crepes seem side down on oven safe serving dish and bake for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Remove from oven and add mustard sauce to the top of crepes.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Mustard sauce can be made the day before
- Crepe batter can be prepared up to three days before. Refrigerate until used.
- Makes for a great breakfast, brunch or dinner crepe
The creamy mustard sauce just works amazingly with this ham and mushroom crepe. It is such a homey flavor and it makes for a wonderful breakfast, brunch or even dinner dish.
I don’t think any additional filling is necessary. It works just the way it is. My whole family loves this crepe after a long day at work and school and it fills their stomachs every time.
I love this crepe batter and make batches a head of time. It keeps in the fridge well for up to three days. And the mustard sauce I usually whip up the day before to save some time.
You can even freeze your unfilled, cooked crepes in a freezer safe bag for quite a while. Reheating is a snap. Just place in the oven for about seven minutes at 350 degrees and they are ready to be topped.
Some people hand mix their crepe batter but I highly recommend using a blender or food processor. The key to a great crepe is a smooth batter and you just can’t get there mixing by hand.
For more great crepe ideas check out these recipes