The perfect recipe if you’re looking for a flavor packed, old fashion chocolate chip cookie! Easy to make, this is one of my all-time favorite cookie recipes.
One of my biggest weaknesses is fresh baked, homemade chocolate chip cookies. And this recipe is easily one of the best I’ve ever had.
They are so good, I have trouble not eating them as they come out of the oven. They are sincerely amazing!
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe, because you will want to bake them again and again.
This recipe is perfect for serving to guests, the family, or as a dessert for parties. It’s always a crowd pleaser, and it never fails that I am asked for the recipe.Cookie Tip
Save this recipe for later: Chocolate chip cookies without brown sugar
How to Bake Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies from Scratch
Some of my earliest baking memories are baking and enjoying these cookies with my mother and grandmother.
It was perfected long before I had my own family, so this is the exact recipe I enjoyed long ago. And it’s still a favorite for just about anyone who tries it.
The ratio of chocolate chips and the homestyle cookie base come together for the ideal chocolate chip cookie.
Even though you’ll be baking your cookies from scratch, it’s a super easy recipe to make and consistently produces a great texture and flavor.
Prep time is right around five minutes and each batch bakes for about thirteen minutes. I use two mixing bowls, a mixer, and a large cookie sheet. And that’s it!
Pin this great recipe: Butterscotch cookies
I absolute love making these old family recipes. You get such a wonderful flavor without needing any complicated ingredients.
And while the ingredient list is relatively long, it’s all common baking ingredients. And they never fail to produce a delicious batch of cookies.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter (softened)
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Nuts (optional)
Chocolate Chips: You can’t make chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips, and every old fashion chocolate cookie calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips. Don’t get me wrong, I love baking with milk chocolate and even white chocolate chips, but this recipe is perfect with semi-sweet.
Brown Sugar: I prefer light brown sugar, but you can go with dark if you prefer. The flavor is heavier on the molasses, but honestly that works well in these cookies.
Oats: You can use quick oats or old fashioned oats. Just go with what you have on hand. This adds that classic texture we are looking for.
Chopped Nuts: Walnuts or pecans are the traditional options, but any of your favorite nuts could work well. You can omit nuts if you prefer, but they provide a wonderful crunch and earthy flavor that goes so well with your chocolate chips.
Classic recipe: Milk chocolate chip cookies
Simple Step by Step Instructions
Like I was saying, don’t let the length of the ingredient list fool you. This is an incredibly simple and straightforward recipe.
It’s super quick, so it’s a great recipe to make any time of year. You great amazing flavor without having to spend much time in the kitchen baking.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Step 2: Grease your cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper.
Step 3: In a mixing bowl, add your softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until creamy.
Step 4: In second mixing bowl, add your flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until combined.
Step 5: Gradually mix your dry mixture into your wet mixture until well combined.
Step 6: Stir in your chocolate chips, oats, and nuts (do not use your mixer).
Step 7: Drop rounded teaspoons onto your greased cookies sheet with at least an inch and a half between cookie dough mounds.
Step 8: Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Your cookies are done baking when the edges are golden.
Step 9: Remove from oven and cool cookies on a wire rack. Enjoy!
The original Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe
Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Large Cookie Sheet
- 1 Mixer
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar packed
- ¾ Cup Butter softened
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Oats
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tbs Milk
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Chopped Nuts
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease your cookie sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add your softened butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until creamy.
- In second mixing bowl, add your flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until combined.
- Gradually mix your dry mixture into your wet mixture until well combined.
- Stir in your chocolate chips, oats, and nuts (do not use your mixer).
- Drop rounded teaspoons onto your greased cookies sheet with at least an inch and a half between cookie dough mounds.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Your cookies are done baking when the edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and cool cookies on a wire rack. Enjoy!
Liv’s Family Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Notes
- These cookies taste so good right out of the oven, but let them cool on a wire rack before serving (I won’t tell if you taste test a couple though).
- Check your cookies at twelve minutes, but since oven temperature vary, they may take as long as fifteen minutes to bake.
- You may need to bake multiple batches, depending on the size of your cookie sheet. Allow your cookie sheet to cool a good bit before baking your following batches.
- Store your cookies covered at room temperature for up to three or four days.