Wonderfully flavored spice bread recipe perfect for a breakfast treat or to serve for the holidays.
This is a special recipe around my home during the holidays. It’s one of those recipes that tell the senses it’s the holiday season.
The aroma is amazing and makes me feel safe and cozy every time I make it. And on top of that, it tastes absolutely wonderful, especially when paired with a good cup of coffee.
While I usually save this recipe for the colder months, there is no reason you can’t make it for a delicious breakfast treat any time of year.
Make sure to bookmark or pin this recipe because you will want to make it again and again.
Related Recipe: Pumpkin bread from cake mix
How to Bake Spice Bread
I struggle deciding which is my favorite thing about this recipe, the moist texture and deep flavor, or the spicy aroma it fills the house with.
Fortunately, we don’t have to pick because it comes as a packaged deal!
This spice bread recipe yields one loaf. Prep time is just a few minutes and bake time is about one hour.
It’s the perfect recipe to make the night before. It will fill your home with a cozy smell and you’ll wake up to one of the best breakfast treats around.
Related Recipe: Banana bread from frozen bananas
This recipe calls for common baking ingredients, so you likely have everything you need already on hand.
Well, maybe not the molasses, but if you don’t have it on hand already most grocery stores carry it in the baking section.
While I highly recommend you use the spices noted below, if you are out of any of them, you can replace all the spice with 2 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice.
Classic Spice Bread Ingredients
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Cloves
Related: Molasses substitutes
The only equipment you need to make this spice bread is a medium mixing bowl and a 9×5 loaf pan. And once you have all your ingredients gathered it’s time to start baking!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Step 2: In your mixing bowl, add your all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined.
Step 3: Add you spices, water, and molasses to your mixture and stir until well combined.
Step 4: Grease your loaf pan with butter or non stick cooking spray.
Note: If you have parchment paper, you can line your loaf pan with it instead of greasing.
Step 5: Fill loaf pan with spice bread dough.
Step 6: Bake in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour. Your spice bread is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
Step 7: Carefully remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Step 8: Serve and enjoy!
Related Recipe: Banana bread from cake mix
Classic Spice Bread Recipe
- 1 9×5 Loaf Pan
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1½ Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¾ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1¼ Cups Water
- 3 Tbs Molasses
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In your mixing bowl, add your all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well combined
- Add you spices, water, and molasses to your mixture and stir until well combined
- Grease your loaf pan with butter or non stick cooking spray
- Fill loaf pan with spice bread dough
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 1 hour. Your spice bread is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean
- Carefully remove from oven and cool on a wire rack
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can serve your spice bread warm, but it’s just as good at room temperature.
- To store, tightly wrap or place in sealed container at room temperature for up to two days, or in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- The refrigerator does tend to dry it out a bit. You can moisten your spice bread by brushing simple syrup on top of your loaf. Mix one and half tablespoon each of water and granulated sugar to make your simple syrup.